Elected to represent the 20th State Senate District in November 2014, Senator Connie M. Leyva is serving her first term in the California State Senate.
As our State Senator, Senator Leyva is committed to improving California’s schools, environment and communities, as well as creating quality jobs throughout the 20th State Senate District and California. She firmly believes that California families benefit most when we invest in and help strengthen small businesses and other job drivers that create good paying jobs in our local communities.
During her first two years in office, Senator Leyva authored legislation signed into law to:
- end the statute of limitations on rape (SB 813)
- permanently extend overtime for domestic workers (SB 1015)
- require review of environmental justice impacts on local communities (SB 1000)
- help crime victims receive compensation (SB 651)
- protect communities from lead pipe dangers (SB 1398)
- improve career technical education at California community colleges (SB 66)
- protect financial security of seniors and their families (SB 426)
- expand educational services for homeless students (SB 1068)
- recover and reuse food waste as clean energy and fuels (SB 970)
- ensure stronger student voices on school boards (SB 532)
- extend career technical education course options for high school students (SB 1123)
Senator Leyva serves as Democratic Caucus Chair of the California State Senate, as well as on the Education, Elections and Constitutional Amendments, Health, Public Employment and Retirement and Rules committees.
A lifelong activist standing up for working people and families, Senator Leyva previously served as both Union Representative and President of the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 1428, as well as the first woman President of the California Labor Federation representing more than 2.1 million workers throughout the state.
Raised in Chino, Senator Leyva has lived in the Inland Empire since she was a small child. She attended local schools and graduated from the University of Redlands with a bachelor’s degree in communicative disorders.
- Commissioners and Staff
- Local Commissions
- Conflict of Interest Code CCSWG
- Request Email Updates
- Meeting Notices
- US Department of Labor Women's Bureau
- US Department of Education Civil Rights Coordinators
- MSMU Status of Women and Girls Report
- CA Women's Wellbeing Index
- Budget Details for CA Commission on the Status of Women & Girls
- CA State Legislative Women's Caucus