Legislation & Policy Priorities
Issues & Resources
Mandated Issue Areas
A prime function of the Commission shall be to encourage women and girl serving organizations to institute local self-help activities designed to meet the educational, employment, and related needs of California’s women and girls. The Commission makes regular reports on its activities, findings, and recommendations to the Legislature.
The Commission also reviews state laws in regard to the civil and political rights of women and we strive to act as an information center for the women and girls of California on issues that affect the lives of women and girls.
As we have the capacity to do so, we also recommend, develop, or coordinate materials, projects, or other activities, and give technical and consultative advice to public or private groups or persons concerned with preventing or minimizing problems brought about by the changing roles and responsibilities of women and developing programs to support the women and girls of California
Issue areas also include:
- Gender equity in the media.
- Educational needs of women and girls.
- Gender in the workplace and employment.
- Health and safety of women and girls.
- Women in the military, women veterans, and military families.
- The effect of social attitudes and pressures and economic considerations in shaping the roles to be assumed by women in the society.\