State Advisory Committee on Sexual Victim Services
Request for a New Member – New Vacancy
The Commission on the Status of Women and Girls is seeking applications for appointment to the State Advisory Committee on Sexual Assault Victim Services (SAC) in the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services. The advisory committee is comprised of professionals who have knowledge and expertise in the areas of sexual assault. The SAC is authorized to collaboratively work with Cal OES on program development and implementation, to develop criteria for awarding assault cases, and to approve grants awarded to the Rape Crisis, Child Sexual Abuse, and Child Sexual Exploitation and Intervention Programs.
Six of the eleven Advisory Committee members are appointed by the Commission. SAC committee members are expected to attend regularly scheduled quarterly meetings held in Sacramento or Southern California. Although SAC committee members are volunteers who do not receive compensation for their service, they are reimbursed for their travel expenses to attend scheduled meetings. SAC members participate in the following types of activities:
- Identify, raise, and discuss critical issues within the field of sexual assault, child sexual abuse and child sexual exploitation
- Provide program and funding recommendations to Cal OES
- Provide evaluation and recommendations of public policy as related to sexual assault, child sexual abuse, and child sexual exploitation
- Review and be prepared to discuss meeting agenda items, meeting minutes, and supplemental documentation
- Represent and provide relevant information from the specific field for which he/she has been appointed
Interested parties should send a letter of interest and a resume. Your letter of interest should express your qualifications (in no more than two pages) to serve on the committee as well as answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in serving on the SAC?
- What knowledge or expertise in the field of sexual violence do you bring to the committee?
- What do you consider to be the most pressing issue affecting the field of sexual assault?
Please send complete applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Commission at (916) 651-5405. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications are due by close of business on November 6, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed and selected candidates will be invited to interview. Upon the completion of the review and approval process, the Commission will notify all interested parties. The Commission will formally appoint the position at its January meeting.
The SAC, established by Penal Code Section 13836 in l980, provides oversight to the Rape Crisis, Child Sexual Abuse, and Child Sexual Exploitation and Intervention Programs at the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES).