What If A Union Member Feels They Are Not Being Paid Equally?

  • A union representative can educate members about the existence of the Fair Pay Act, and their rights under the law and that the Union has the ability to get information from the employer that could help to evaluate and address the issue.
  • Depending on the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, union represented employees may have a remedy through the negotiated grievance and arbitration procedure, or the individual employee may need to seek representation from an outside attorney or file a claim with the California Labor Commissioner. Know Your Rights?
  • A union representative may tell employees who are not already represented by the union that they have the same rights under state law but also that issues of pay equity can be, and often are, addressed in the collective bargaining process.


50 Years of advancing issues and continuing action

DISCLAIMER: The materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice about any particular issue or problem. The materials do not represent the opinions or conclusions of individual members of the Task Force. The posting of these materials does not create requirements or mandates.